Garlic Roast Chicken1 (5 -6 lb) roasting chickens
salt and peppe
2 full heads garlic, cut in half crosswise
1 lemon, quartered
1/2 large sweet onion, sliced thick
4 carrots cut diagonally into 2-inch chunks
12 small yellow-gold potatoes, halved
5 tablespoons melted butter
1. As soon as you get the chicken home, salt it inside and out, wrap it and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
2. When you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Pat the outside of the chicken dry with paper towels. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken and stuff the cavity with the all the garlic and lemon.
3. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place it in a roasting pan just large enough to hold it and the vegetables.
4. Scatter the onion slices, carrots and potatoes around the chicken. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter, pour all remaining butter over vegetables and sprinkle everything with salt and pepper.
5. Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Baste chicken and vegetables with juices a couple times during cooking. (A 5 1/2 lb chicken needs about 1 hr 20 mins.).Remove the chicken, place on cutting board, and cover with aluminum foil. Place the vegetables back in the oven and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes. When the vegetables are cooked, carve the chicken and place the slices on a platter surrounded by the vegetables. Drizzle some pan juices over the chicken and vegetables. Serves 3-4 people.
Continually improving. All rights reserved.
Send comments or suggestions to email@example.com
You are here:
Click any link below to visit other parts of our site
Recipe of the Week
Table of Contents